Tuesday, March 3, 2009

March Madness Monday

I guess I'm trying to be creative with my blog titles. LOL.

Monday's classes were hectic and energetic. I had the task of rehearsing both of their operas in 1 hour for a performance that day. It took a lot of energy and the students saw a side of me they weren't expecting as we really had to get down to business.

First up was Amanda and Mubeen's class. We finished blocking their piece as we didn't get to the end last time. Then we had a chance to run through the opera once. They did a good job, although it was difficult for me to rein in some of the chorus members who had a habit of not paying attention if they weren't doing anything. I have had some challenges in this class with respect to just that, participation. They have great ideas, but it is disheartening to see some students slacking. So saying those who were into it, did well. For the final performance, I want to see this class work at confidence and energy as they are good performers, but tend to be shy onstage. This could come with some rehearsal and lots of encouragement to take the stage and do it like you mean it.

Next was Sona's class. This class was challenging as we had the task of teaching the drummers how to drum with singing and teaching the performers how to sing with drumming. Adam and I are so glad that we are incorporating the drumming and dancing, in addition to dialogue and singing, but one hour never seems like enough. We managed to go through all of the music once and then do a run through of the show. Focus was an issue on this Monday and I had to remind the students repeatedly to pay attention and speak only when needed as they tended to be chatty. I will attribute this to their excitement about the piece. For this class, for the final performance, their biggest challenge will be to integrate the drumming with the music as well as making sure that everyone is focused and on task. This will come with rehearsal and I am confident they can do a great job of performing their opera.

Amanda and Mubeen's class performed for Sona's class and then Sona's class was supposed to perform. However, we ran out of time and only M & A's class performed. They did a great job and I was sad that Sona's class wasn't able to present. However, I feel that Sona's class was probably motivated by seeing the other classes perform and Sona has said that they will find time to do this performance another time.

All in all, I have had a great time working with North Kipling. A very artistic and creative school and the students have been fab. I will miss my Tuesdays with them, but I hope to stay in touch and see their final performances if they end up doing something splashy at the end of the year.

No comments:

Post a Comment